U.S. Indoor Small Cells Forecast, 2019-2024: The COVID-19 Slowdown
Table of Contents
List of Tables
List of Charts
Because of the near-total shutdown of the U.S. economy due to COVID-19, iGR has reduced its forecast for the number of indoor small cells to be installed in the U.S. throughout the forecast period (2019-2024). iGR will again update this forecast in late 2020 when, ideally, more is known about the virus, its impact, and the U.S./global economy has begun recovering.
This market study provides a five-year forecast for indoor small cells in the U.S. Small cells run the gamut from Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS), DAS Lite, Centralized-/Cloud-RAN, enterprise small cells, femtocells (residential small cells) and cellular signal boosters.iGR classifies any system as “indoor” or “in-building” when the majority of its nodes (sites where the antennas are placed) are inside a building. iGR puts stadiums in the “indoor” category, along with hotels and airports to name a few.
In this market study, iGR provides a forecast for the:
- Total addressable market (TAM) for indoor small cells.
- Actual installed small cell nodes
Key Questions Answered
- What effect has COVID-19 had on the indoor small cell market? What effect will it have?
- What does indoor mean?
- What are indoor small cells?
- Where do small cells fit in the network?
- What are some of the perceived benefits and issues related to indoor small cells?
- What are the key drivers for using indoor small cells?
- What is the impact of edge computing and proptech on indoor small cell deployments?
- What are some of the perceived negatives and issues related to indoor small cells?
- What are the key barriers to indoor small cell adoption?
- How large is the total addressable market for indoor small cells?
- How many indoor small cells are expected to be deployed both residentially and commercially?
- What percentage of deployed indoor small cells will use sub-6 GHz, mmWave and CBRS spectrum bands?
Who Should Read
- Mobile operators
- Infrastructure OEMs
- Small cell product and solution vendors
- Backhaul service providers and equipment OEMs
- Financial analysts and investors.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Revised Forecast
- What this means
- Basic Mobile Operator Network Architecture
- Wireless Spectrum
- Cell Sites
- The Different Types of Haul
- Setting the Stage for Small Cells
- Network “Pain Points”
- Different Types of Small Cells
- Hybrid Antenna System
- DAS/Small Cell Architecture
- Neutral-Host DAS vs. Single Host DAS
- Changing Nature of DAS
- Pros and Cons of In-building Small Cells
- Benefits of Deploying In-Building Small Cells
- Cons of Deploying In-Building Small Cells
- Advantages Provided by DAS
- Challenges with DAS Deployments
- Related Topics: Edge Computing, CBRS and Proptech
- Edge Computing
- Assumptions: Indoor Small Cells
- The Impact of COVID-19
- What about CBRS?
- Indoor Small Cell Total Addressable Market Forecast
- Indoor Small Cell Total Addressable Market
- U.S. Indoor Small Cells: Actual Installs
- Installed Small Cell Nodes in Residential
- Installed Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings
- Indoor Small Cell Vendor Profiles
- Advanced RF Technologies, Inc. (ADRF)
- Airspan Networks
- Bandwidth Logic
- Betacom Incorporated
- BTI Wireless
- C Squared Systems (C2 Systems)
- Cobham Wireless
- Comba Telecom
- Connectivity Wireless Solutions
- Corning / Corning SpiderCloud Wireless
- Crown Castle
- Dali Wireless
- Druid Software
- ExteNet Systems
- iBwave (Corning)
- JMA Wireless
- Microlab (Wireless Telecom Group)
- Nokia Networks
- Samsung Electronics
- Westell Technologies
- Whoop Wireless
- Wilson Electronics
- ZTE Corporation
- About iGR
List of Tables
- Table A: Installed indoor small cell forecast by band and building type, 2019-2024
- Table 1: Different Types of Small Cells, Licensed and Unlicensed Spectrum
- Table 2: Benefits of Neutral-Host DAS
- Table 3: Advantages of DAS
- Table 4: Challenges of DAS
- Table 5: Employment by NAICS 517, Feb. 2020 to May 2020
- Table 6: All Building Types Indoor Small Cell TAM, 2019-2024
- Table 7: Installed Indoor Small Cell Forecast, 2019-2024
- Table 8: Installed Small Cell Nodes in Residential, 2019-2024
- Table 9: Installed Indoor Residential Small Cell Forecast, Sub 6 GHz vs CBRS, 2019-2024
- Table 10: Installed Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Table 11: Installed Sub 6 GHz Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Table 12: Installed CBRS Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Table 13: Installed mmWave Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Definitions Table
List of Charts and Figures
- Figure A: Installed indoor small cell forecast by band and building type, 2019-2024
- Figure 1: Basic Components of Cellular Voice/Data Network
- Figure 2: Cell Site Backhaul Capabilities and Use Cases, Wired and Wireless
- Figure 3: Basic DAS Configuration
- Figure 4: DAS, BTS Hotels, and Remote Radio Heads
- Figure 5: Types of DAS
- Figure 6: 3GPP Approaches to Network Sharing
- Figure 7: Overview of CBRS Band
- Figure 8: Employment by NAICS 517, Feb. 2020 to May 2020
- Figure 9: Hotel Occupancy Rate, Americas, 2019-2020
- Figure 10: Share of workers and businesses impacted by the COVID-19, U.S., March 2020
- Figure 11: All Building Types In-Building Small Cell TAM, 2019-2024
- Figure 12: Installed Indoor Small Cell Nodes Forecast, 2019-2024
- Figure 13: Installed Small Cell Nodes in Residential, 2019-2024
- Figure 14: Installed Indoor Residential Small Cell Forecast, Sub 6 GHz vs CBRS, 2019-2024
- Figure 15: Installed Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Figure 16: Installed Sub 6 GHz Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Figure 17: Installed CBRS Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
- Figure 18: Installed mmWave Small Cell Nodes in Commercial Buildings, 2019-2024
For additional information on the U.S. Indoor Small Cells Forecast, 2019-2024: The COVID-19 Slowdown market study, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.
Our Latest Research
- Latin America 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers...
- Asia Pacific 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers...
- Europe 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers...
- U.S. Outdoor Small Cells Forecast, 2022 – 2027: When will 5G densification...
- U.S. 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers spending?
- Global Mobile Data Forecast, 2022 – 2027: Steady growth worldwide