EU-28 Mobile Operator Edge Computing Spending Forecast, 2019-2024: Building the Edge Cloud
Table of Contents
List of Tables
List of Charts
Edge computing (EC), along with software defined networking (SDN) and network function virtualization (NFV), is helping mobile operators realize the promise of 5G.
In addition to the edge computing technology, the business model of edge computing is also being developed. In the last year many partnerships between EU mobile network operators and public cloud providers were formed, and these will support the use of edge computing for many new 5G use cases. In short, the mobile operators are building the edge cloud for the EU.
This market study forecasts what EU-28 mobile operators will spend to build and operate edge computing centers, in various locations, in the next five years.
Key Questions Answered
- What is edge computing and how does it work?
- What is the ETSI Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) initiative?
- What are the focuses of other edge computing consortiums and initiatives, such as Open Networking Foundation (ONF), CORD Project, Open Edge Computing (OEC), Open Compute, EdgeX Foundry, 5G Future Forum and Telco Edge Cloud?
- How does edge computing relate to the public cloud, especially when a mobile operator (MNO) deploys at the edge? What are some recent MNO / public cloud partnerships?
- To date, where and how have edge computing solutions been successfully deployed?
- What are some of the perceived benefits and issues related to edge computing?
- Which vendors have products and services to support edge computing?
- What are the edge computing strategies / initiatives / partnerships of the major EU-28 mobile operators?
- How much will EU-28 mobile operators spend to build and operate edge computing resources in their mobile networks over the next five years?
Who Should Read
- Mobile operators
- Infrastructure OEMs
- Computing infrastructure OEMs
- Public cloud vendors and OEMs
- Data center OEMs and operators
- Small cell product and solution vendors
- Backhaul service providers and equipment OEMs
- Financial analysts and investors.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- What this Means
- 5G Defined
- Massive IoT
- 5G Services and Use Cases
- What is Edge Computing?
- ETSI Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC)
- Other Edge Computing Initiatives
- Criteria around what goes at the edge
- Where can edge compute be placed?
- Edge computing in 4G
- Edge Computing and 5G
- Brief overview of MEC building blocks
- Edge Computing with Public Cloud and the MNO
- Potential Use Cases for Edge Computing
- Pros & Cons of Edge Computing for Mobile Operators
- Benefits of Edge Computing
- Cons of Edge Computing
- Mobile Operators and Edge Clouds
- The Problem
- Advantages of Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC)
- Mobile Operator and Edge Cloud Use Cases
- T-Mobile: Edge Clouds for Industrial Control Systems
- TIM Data Center Virtualization in Brazil
- Vodafone and Verizon Each Deploy AWS Wavelength
- AT&T Partners with Google Cloud
- Telecom Italia – Edge Cloud Goes Live in Turin
- Mobile Operator Edge Cloud Use Cases – Conclusions
- EU-28 Mobile Operator Spending on Edge Computing
- Methodology and Assumptions
- EU-28 Mobile Operator Edge Computing Spending Forecast
- EU-28 Mobile Operator Profiles
- Deutsche Telekom
- Telecom Italia (TIM)
- Edge Computing Vendor Profiles
- ADVA Optical Networking
- Affirmed Networks
- Altran Americas
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- American Tower
- Compass Datacenters
- Crown Castle
- Dell Technologies
- ECI Telecom / Ribbon Communications
- GE Digital
- JMA Wireless
- Juniper Networks
- Limelight Networks
- Nokia Networks
- Packet, an Equinix Company
- RTI (Real-Time Innovations)
- Saguna Networks
- SBA Communications Corporation (SBA)
- Vapor IO
- Vertical Bridge
- ZTE Corporation
- About iGR
List of Tables
- Table A: EU-28 Mobile Operator Build and Operating Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Table 1: EU-28 Mobile Operator Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Table 2: EU-28 Mobile Operator Network Build Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Table 3: EU-28 Mobile Operator Operating Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Definitions Table
List of Charts and Figures
- Figure A: EU-28 Mobile Operator Build and Operating Spending on Edge
- Figure 1: The 4G LTE Network without Edge Computing
- Figure 2: The 4G LTE Network with Edge Computing behind the EPC
- Figure 3: The 4G LTE Network with Edge Computing in front of the EPC
- Figure 4: 5G System Architecture – Network Function Interactions, Non-roaming
- Figure 5: Non-roaming architecture for the NEF
- Figure 6: Example of an Integrated MEC Deployment in a 5G Network
- Figure 7: Illustrating Edge Computing in 5G
- Figure 8: Example of an Integrated MEC Deployment in a 5G Network
- Figure 9: MEC Server Building Blocks
- Figure 10: MEC Reference Architecture
- Figure 11: Edge Computing with the MNO
- Figure 12: Edge Computing with the MNO and Public Cloud
- Figure 13: Edge Computing with the MNO, Enterprise and Public Cloud
- Figure 14: IoT Gateway
- Figure 15: Intelligent video acceleration service
- Figure 16: Production hall edge network
- Figure 17: Cloud environments, from far edge to central
- Figure 18: Extending a virtual private cloud to a mobile network
- Figure 19: Anthos Hybrid Ecosystem
- Figure 20: TIM 5G Digital Business Platform
- Figure 21: EU-28 Mobile Operator Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Figure 22: EU-28 Mobile Operator Network Build Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Figure 23: EU-28 Mobile Operator Operating Spending on Edge Computing, 2019-2024
- Figure 24: JMA Edge Solution
For additional information on the EU-28 Mobile Operator Edge Computing Spending Forecast, 2019-2024: Building the Edge Cloud market study, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.
Our Latest Research
- Latin America 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers...
- Asia Pacific 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers...
- Europe 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers...
- U.S. Outdoor Small Cells Forecast, 2022 – 2027: When will 5G densification...
- U.S. 5G Revenues, 2022 – 2027: How much and where are mobile consumers spending?
- Global Mobile Data Forecast, 2022 – 2027: Steady growth worldwide