U.S. Fixed Wireless Access Forecast, 2018-2023: Banding together - Cellular, CBRS and mmWave
The fixed wireless access (FWA) market has been the unremarked provider of broadband Internet service to millions of Americans for decades. It is only recently with the advent of 5G and mmWave spectrum bands that the FWA market has begun to heat up and receive considerable attention.
In this report, iGR identifies several sub-categories in the FWA market: the traditional fixed wireless bands, CBRS, mmWave and cellular-based fixed wireless.This report builds off the methodology iGR used in its fixed wireless reports that were published in 2018 and provides a total addressable market (TAM) forecast for FWA in terms of household and cellsites. This report also forecasts the actual number of households subscribing to FWA in the U.S. between 2018 and 2023.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the traditional fixed wireless access market?
- What is millimeter wave and how will it be used? Why is millimeter wave important?
- What is mid-band spectrum and how will it be used?
- What is the goal of 5G NR-based mmWave solutions as deployed by some of the new market entrants?
- What are the pros and cons to deploying mmWave? What are the challenges?
- How big is the traditional fixed wireless access market? How many households use that service?
- Which FWA markets are addressable by the various wireless bands available?
- How big is the mmWave-based fixed wireless access market? How many households will use that service?
- How big is the market opportunity for CBRS fixed wireless service? How many households are expected to use these services?
Who Should Read
- Mobile network operators
- Microwave spectrum holders and operators
- CBRS solution providers
- Cable MSOs
- Wireline telcos
- Fixed wireless solution vendors
- Financial analysts and investors.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- What This Means
- Overview of Fixed Wireless
- Mid-Band Spectrum
- FWA Deployment Options
- 3GPP versus Non-3GPP FWA
- Several Types of “Fixed” Wireless Markets
- Key Drivers of FWA Costs
- Who’s Doing What: FWA
- ExteNet Systems
- Redzone Wireless
- Rise Broadband
- Other WISPs
- The Total Addressable Market for FWA
- Fixed Wireless Total Addressable Market Forecast
- Forecast Methodology
- FWA TAM: Households
- Cellsites Needed to Cover each Ring
- FWA Actuals Forecast
- About iGR
List of Tables
- Table A: FWA – TAM and Actuals, 2018-2023
- Table 1: Number of Households (000s) in MSAs by distance from “city hall”
- Table 2: Households per ring (000s)
- Table 3: Summary of FWA Household TAM
- Table 4: U.S. Household Forecast, 2018-2023
- Table 5: U.S. FWA TAM Household Forecast, 2018-2023
- Table 6: Square Miles per Ring, by MSA Population Size Category
- Table 7: Assumed Range by Spectrum/Technology Grouping
- Table 8: Cellsites Needed to Cover Each Ring
- Table 9: List of MSAs
- Table 10: TAM, Total Cellsites to cover all MSAs
- Table 11: Tower TAM Summary
- Table 12: FWA Actual HH Adoption, 2018-2023
- Definitions Table
List of Charts and Figures
- Figure A: FWA – TAM and Actuals, 2018-2023
- Figure 1: Number of Households (000s) in MSAs by distance from “city hall”
- Figure 2: U.S. Household Forecast, 2018-2023
- Figure 3: U.S. FWA TAM Household Forecast, 2018-2023
- Figure 4: TAM, Total Cellsites to cover all MSAs
- Figure 5: Actual FWA Adoption by Type and Household, 2018-2023
For additional information on the U.S. Fixed Wireless Access Forecast, 2018-2023 market study, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.