Quarterly Trends and Analysis: Q3 2017
This report, presented in a PowerPoint presentation, outlines the major trends in the U.S. wireless industry in Q3 2017.
The four main themes covered include:
- Network – general trends about changes in the network as the industry moves to 5G
- Virtualization – trends relating to NFV, SDN, uCPE, etc.
- RAN – trends in the industry related to densification, small cells, C-RAN, etc.
- OTT – Over The Top service trends
The trends and themes covered in this report will be further explored in future quarters. iGR avoided topics that were one-time occurrences and instead focused on events that were part of an ongoing trend.
Key Questions Answered
- What were the major trends of the wireless and mobile industry during the third quarter of 2017?
- What major announcements were made by players in the mobile industry?
- What trends were identified regarding the mobile network, virtualization of the network, RAN, and OTT services?
- What research and forecasts of iGR support these trends?
Who Should Read
- Mobile operators
- Device OEMs
- Mobile infrastructure vendors
- Mobile backhaul services and solutions providers
- Content providers and distributors
- Financial and investment analysts.
Table of Contents
- A Thought for the Quarter
- Ongoing Fiber Consolidation
- Ongoing Fiber Builds
- U.S. 4G-5G Network Spend
- U.S. Network Spend Build vs. Operate
- Replacing proprietary with generic
- Demonstrating/Implementing NFV/SDN
- CBRS Hype Ongoing
- Capacity & Densification
- 5G Hype Continues
- Cloud/Centralized RAN
- Live TV Moving to New Platforms
- Social Platforms Moving into Video
- Big operators moving to OTT
- OTT tipping point
- Acronyms & Definitions
List of Charts and figures
- U.S. Mobile Network Infrastructure Build Spending by Generation, 2017-2027 ($M)
- Total U.S. Mobile Network Build and Operating Spending, 2017-2027 ($M)
- Total CBRS Nodes Deployed, 2017-2022
- Indoor Small Cell Node Forecast TAM and Actuals, 2017-2022
- U.S. Mobile Network Infrastructure Build Spending by Component, 2017-2027 ($M)
- Preferred Sources for Video Content among U.S. Mobile Consumers
- Total Mobile Video and Non-Video Traffic (TB/month), 2016-2021, North America
- Current Use of Video OTT Services
For additional information on the Quarterly Trends and Analysis: Q3 2017 market study, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.