Quarterly Trends and Analysis: Q2 2017
This report, presented in a PowerPoint presentation, outlines the major trends in the U.S. wireless industry in Q2 2017.
The four main themes covered include:
- Network – general trends about changes in the network as the industry moves to 5G
- Virtualization – trends relating to NFV, SDN, uCPE, etc.
- RAN – trends in the industry related to densification, small cells, C-RAN, etc.
- OTT – Over The Top service trends
The trends and themes covered in this report will be further explored in future quarters. iGR avoided topics that were one-time occurrences and instead focused on events that were part of an ongoing trend.
Key Questions Answered
- What were the major trends of the wireless and mobile industry during the second quarter of 2017?
- What major announcements were made by players in the mobile industry?
- What trends were identified regarding the mobile network, virtualization of the network, RAN, and OTT services?
- What research and forecasts of iGR support these trends?
Who Should Read
- Mobile operators
- Device OEMs
- Mobile infrastructure vendors
- Mobile backhaul services and solutions providers
- Content providers and distributors
- Financial and investment analysts.
Table of Contents
- A Thought for the Quarter
- Ongoing Fiber Consolidation
- Ongoing Fiber Builds
- Replacing proprietary with generic
- Ongoing NFV/SDN investment
- Demonstrating/Implementing NFV/SDN
- Spectrum … sold!
- CBRS Hype Builds
- Capacity & Densification
- 5G Hype Builds
- Move to Cloud/Centralized RAN
- Live TV Moving to New Platforms
- Social Platforms Moving into Video
- Big operators moving to OTT
- OTT tipping point
- Acronyms & Definitions
List of Charts and figures
- Possible M&A or Partnership Combinations
- U.S. Cell Front/Backhaul Forecast, 2016-2021
- Total U.S. HH Home Broadband Data Usage per Month by Quartile, 2016-2021 (PBs)
- Estimated Per-Household Cost to Deploy mmWave, 100% Uptake
- Total CBRS Nodes Deployed, 2017-2022
- Actual U.S. Outdoor Small Cells Deployments by Type, 2016-2021
- CPRI at the Macrocell and as Small Cell / CRAN
- Preferred Sources for Video Content among U.S. Mobile Consumers
- Total Mobile Video and Non-Video Traffic (TB/month), 2016-2021, North America
- Current Use of Video OTT Services
For additional information on the Quarterly Trends and Analysis: Q2 2017 market study, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.