U.S. Residential Femtocell Market Forecast, 2013-2018: Impact of VoLTE and VoWiFi
Mobile network quality is of critical importance to the wireless and mobile industry. Consumers often judge the worth of a service, application or mobile phone based on their overall network experience. The quality and coverage of cellular voice remains a key issue for consumers especially given the ongoing trend toward landline replacement.
Residential femtocells are one way mobile operators can improve the quality of their subscribers’ cellular voice service – primarily from the standpoint of creating or improving coverage inside a home. Most residential femtocells deployed in the U.S. today were rolled out to improve coverage for high-value customers. Moving forward, iGR believes that this will be the primary use case for residential femtocells, as well. Some operators have started offering VoWiFi as an alternative way to improve voice service in the home.
This report provides a total addressable market and installed base forecast for residential femtocells in the U.S., together with SWOT analyses for VoLTE femtocells and VoWiFi in the home.
Key Questions Answered
- What is a femtocell?
- How does a femtocell work?
- What are the use cases for femtocells?
- What is the outlook for LTE and VoLTE femtocells in the home?
- How do consumers rate their voice and mobile data experience?
- How do consumers use mobile devices and WiFi in their home?
- How could VoWiFi impact the demand for and use of femtocells in the home?
- What is the total addressable market for residential femtocells in the U.S.?
- How many femtocells are installed in U.S. households?
- What are the anticipated use cases for femtocells in U.S. households?
- How can femtocells be used to offload macro cellular network traffic?
- What are the forecasts for femtocell installation in the U.S.?
Who Should Read
- Femtocell and small cell infrastructure vendors
- VoWiFi solution vendors
- Mobile network infrastructure OEMs
- Mobile network software and services providers
- Financial analysts and investors.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Total Addressable Market Calculation
- How Femtocells Work
- Femtocell Use Cases
- Voice over LTE in the Home
- What is VoLTE?
- VoLTE in the Home’s Strengths and Weaknesses
- VoWiFi in the Home
- Consumer Experience and Usage
- Importance of Mobile Data and Voice Service
- Voice Experience
- Mobile Data Experience
- Mobile Device Use in the Home
- WiFi Use in the Home
- Femtocell: Total Addressable Market Forecast
- Core Assumptions
- Sizing the Femtocell TAM
- Forecasting the U.S. Femtocell Install Base
- Small Cell Vendor Profiles
- Fujitsu Network Communications
- Nokia Networks
- Public Wireless
- Samsung Electronics
- ZTE Corporation
- Device Types
- Network Technology
- About iGR
List of Tables
- Table 1: Factors Considered When Rating Mobile Service Provider
- Table 2: Blocked Calls
- Table 3: Dropped Calls
- Table 4: Rating of Mobile Data Coverage
- Table 5: Rating of Mobile Data Speed
- Table 6: Locations of Mobile Device Use
- Table 7: Home WiFi Network
- Table 8: Devices Connected to WiFi
- Table 9: U.S. Femtocell Total Addressable Market, 2013-2018
- Table 10: Potential People Covered by Femtocells, 2013-2018
- Table 11: U.S. Femtocell Installed Base, 2013-2018
- Table 12: U.S. Femtocell Net Additions per Year, 2013-2018
List of Charts and Figures
- Figure A: U.S. Residential Femtocell Total Addressable Market, 2013-2018
- Figure B: U.S. Femtocell Installed Base, 2013-2018
- Figure 1: Basic Femtocell Deployment
- Figure 2: Diagram of LTE Femtocell
- Figure 3: Possible Interference Sources in a Loaded Network
- Figure 4: Femtocell Use Cases
- Figure 5: VoLTE in the Home SWOT Analysis
- Figure 6: VoWiFi in the Home SWOT Analysis
- Figure 7: Factors Considered When Rating Mobile Service Provider
- Figure 8: Blocked Calls
- Figure 9: Dropped Calls
- Figure 10: Rating of Mobile Data Coverage
- Figure 11: Rating of Mobile Data Speed
- Figure 12: Locations of Mobile Device Use
- Figure 13: Home WiFi Network
- Figure 14: Devices Connected to WiFi
- Figure 15: U.S. Femtocell Total Addressable Market, 2013-2018
- Figure 16: Potential People Covered by Femtocells, 2013-2018
- Figure 17: U.S. Femtocell Installed Base, 2013-2018
- Figure 18: U.S. Femtocell Net Additions per Year, 2013-2018
- Figure 19: Cisco Licensed Small Cell Solution
- Figure 20: Fujitsu LTE Femtocell System Solution
- Figure 21: Oracle Communications Security Gateway
For additional information on the U.S. Residential Femtocell Market Forecast, 2013-2018: Impact of VoLTE and VoWiFi market study, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.