iGR Founder: Iain Gillott
Iain Gillott is an acknowledged wireless and mobile industry authority and an accomplished presenter. Mr. Gillott has been involved in the wireless industry, as both a vendor and analyst, for over 20 years.
"Our promise to our clients is to consistently deliver timely, actionable results based on all iGR resources, our analysts' industry expertise and continuous, thorough review."
Iain Gillott addresses the wireless industry
Both the business and the technology of the wireless and mobile industry have evolved considerably in the last 20 years. As a member of the industry since the early 1990s, I have seen most of those changes first hand, from the implementation of the first digital networks (and subsequent 3G and 4G technologies) to the proliferation of SMS, mobile music, camera phones, smartphones, tablets and, ultimately, mobile wearable devices and connected car solutions. I am currently witnessing the implementation of small cells and HetNets and the virtualization of the mobile networks. While sometimes it may seem that the march towards progress is starting to slow or even stagnate, a technical seismic shift is usually just around the corner to spice things up again!
iGR was founded 16 years ago to examine the impact of these shifts on the operators, the vendors and especially the end-user, both in the home and in the workplace. iGR has an unparalleled view of the industry owing to the tens of thousands of consumer and business surveys we conduct around the world each year. Through extensive analysis of industry trends, new technologies and changing business models, we have provided our clients with both a holistic "view from the top" as well as actionable insights relevant to their core strategies. Our efforts focus on educating our clients on all market drivers that will or could impact their business. We then provide a level of detailed analysis that considers every angle of their specified research goals.
iGR believes that the industry is currently driven by eight core tenets, on which a company's ability to recognize and capitalize ultimately determines their success in the continuously evolving wireless industry:
- 1) The needs of the end-user are king, from the prepaid customer to the large global corporation.
- 2) The ability to offer and deliver a range of content to all types of mobile platforms (including connected cars and wearable devices) is essential.
- 3) Mobile network bandwidth needs to be made available where and when the user demands it, not simply where the operator is able to make service available. This includes inside buildings, in the home and in the air.
- 4) Mobile is an integral part of any Cloud architecture, product or service.
- 5) Old and existing security and privacy rules apply to the new world of mobile devices, networks, services and content.
- 6) The device market is highly competitive, with effectively two brands dominating the mobile space globally. New market entrants need clear market and product differentiation in order to even get noticed, never mind succeed.
- 7) All content, services and communities will be available from all devices, regardless of location, time of day, or type of broadband connection.
- 8) New technologies are penetrating the wireless industry faster than ever, and the rate of change is accelerating. For example, mobile network virtualization is now a reality and the next few years will see architectures transformed with the application of SDN and NFV.
Taken together, these trends show that a single or simple view of the industry does not suffice - there are simply too many moving parts and interrelated factors that impact a company's ability to compete and ultimately succeed. It is therefore critical to have a detailed understanding of not only how the industry operates, but also why it does so. The iGR research agenda and products are driven by our big-picture understanding of the wireless landscape and our ongoing conversations with clients and all others who influence the course of the industry. iGR has been synthesizing this knowledge for clients throughout the industry for over a decade, with a proven track record of delivering quality, valuable market research
Most importantly, we find the wireless and mobile industry fascinating and thrive on the dynamic challenges presented by its ever-evolving nature. We enjoy what we do and believe that an exceptional service is even better when it's done with passion.
We certainly look forward to hearing from you.
President and Founder, iGR