Global LTE Metrocells Forecast, 2012-2017: Addressable Market and Deployments
This report provides a forecast for both the total addressable global market for LTE metrocells and a forecast for the expected global deployments of LTE metrocells. Metrocells are, as compared to macrocells, low power cell sites that operate on an operator’s licensed frequency to (today) provide additional coverage and/or capacity in a given urban area.
As part of the “small cell” category, metrocells are part of the heterogeneous network concept that many global wireless operators are moving toward in order to meet the rising demand for mobile data. This approach, which combines RAN upgrades, new licensed spectrum, WiFi, small cells of various types and distributed antenna systems (DAS), is typically referred to as the heterogeneous network or het-net.
The assumptions underlying iGR’s LTE metrocell forecasts are explained in this report. The forecasts are further based on iGR’s global connections forecast report and iGR’s mobile data forecast report, as well as iGR’s primary and secondary research, and various other sources.
Key Questions Answered
- What is a metrocell?
- How do metrocells fit into operators’ evolving networks?
- Where are metrocells most likely to be located? What’s their role?
- How much mobile data do end users in all global regions consume and/or demand?
- How much mobile data capacity will be required in the next five years?
- How many metrocells are forecasted to be deployed?
- Which regions of the world will see the greatest demand for metrocells?
- How does the forecast for metrocell deployments compare to the metrocell total addressable market?
Who Should Read
- Mobile operators
- Infrastructure OEMs
- Small cell product and solution vendors
- Backhaul service providers and equipment OEMs
- Financial analysts and investors.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Rising Demand for Mobile Data
- Estimating Mobile Data Demand
- Setting the Stage for Metrocells
- Network “Pain Points”
- Different Types of Small Cells
- Two Similar Views on Small Cells
- Defining a Metrocell
- LTE Metrocells: TAM and Forecast Deployments
- General Forecast Assumptions: LTE Metrocells TAM & Actual
- LTE Metrocell TAM: Detailed Methodology
- Methodology for Forecasted LTE Metrocell Deployments
- Assumptions per Geographic Region
- LTE Metrocell Forecast: TAM and Deployed
- Global LTE Metrocell Forecast
- Small Cell Vendor Profiles
- Airspan Networks
- Hay Systems Ltd (HSL)
- Mindspeed Technologies, Inc.
- NSN (Nokia Solutions and Networks
- Oracle Acme Packet
- Powerwave Technologies
- Public Wireless
- PureWave Networks
- Ruckus Wireless
- Samsung Electronics
- SpiderCloud Wireless>/li>
- Taqua LLC
- Ubiquisys - Now part of Cisco
- ZTE Corporation
- Device Types
- Network Technology
- About iGR
List of Tables
- Table 1: Average Mobile Data Traffic per Month per Connection by Global Region, 2012-2017
- Table 2: Total Mobile Data Demand per Region, 2012-2017
- Table 3: Small Cells, according to NSN
- Table 4: Small Cell Comparison, AT&T’s Antenna Solutions Group
- Table 5: Global 4G Metrocell TAM, 2012-2017
- Table 6: Global LTE Metrocells – Actual Deployments, 2012-2017
- Table 7: Rolling Total of Actual Global LTE Metrocell Deployments, 2012-2017
- Table 8: Rolling Total of Expected LTE Metrocell Deployments as Percent of TAM, 2012-2017
List of Charts and Figures
- Figure A: Global LTE Metrocell Total Addressable Market, 2012-2017
- Figure B: Global LTE Metrocell – Actual Deployments, 2012-2017
- Figure C: Rolling Total of Actual Global LTE Metrocell Deployments, 2012-2017
- Figure 1: Global mobile data usage per month, 2012-2017 (TB per month)
- Figure 2: Average Mobile Data Traffic per Month per Connection by Global Region, 2012-2017
- Figure 3: Total Mobile Data Demand per Region, 2012-2017
- Figure 4: One View of the Het-Net
- Figure 5: Possible Interference Sources in a Loaded Network
- Figure 6: Global 4G Metrocell TAM, 2012-2017
- Figure 7: Global LTE Metrocells – Actual Deployments, 2012-2017
- Figure 8: Rolling Total of Actual Global LTE Metrocell Deployments, 2012-2017
- Figure 9: Rolling Total of Expected LTE Metrocell Deployments as Percent of TAM, 2012-2017
- Figure 10: Juni Small Cell Architecture
- Figure 11: Oracel Acme Packet Net-Net Security Gateway
- Figure 12: Ruckus WiFi Offload Solution
For additional information on the Global LTE Metrocells Forecast, 2012-2017: Addressable Market and Deployments market research report, please contact Iain Gillott, at (512) 263-5682 or by email.